Monday, June 13, 2011

First Impressions


Ahhhhh, where would we be without "first impressions", the finest of all cliche statements?!
Well, we'd be taking every situation into account as a unique experience with no preconceived notions and with no repercussions on future impressions. But, we're human, right (*pokes herself to check for any wiring beneath the flesh unbeknownst to her*)? Sooo... scratch that thought and place it in your "Fantasy" bucket!

First impressions actually help us ease into an unknown situation by keeping our guards up and our "alert" functions on HIGH. The judgments we place upon a moment, person, place or thing (etc. ad nausea) are inherent walls of defense. And as any human would agree, a future of unknowns can be scary and tricky, thus requiring us to find ways to alleviate our concerns by keeping our "first moments" in check. So, we place the onus on the situation or person we are judging with our first impressions.  Because every human being subjects his/herself to first impressions and carries it in a backpack full of memories, it is the responsibility of the judged party to create positive moments if the desired effect is indeed to leave a great impact on said human's convolutions. Especially where the internet is concerned...virtually every one has access to the reviews of other people's first impressions. The customer isn't only king, he/she is a savvy digital maven!

(I'll stop acting like an alien now, addressing humans in the third person!) 


++++

I remember my first experiences with the dentist when I was a wee tot. I, unfortunately, cannot remember the name of the dentist...but, I do remember a room with a huge (size perspective is interesting when you're a child) built-in cabinet with little drawers. Behind each drawer was a gift, hidden and waiting eagerly to be chosen. As I'd jump out of the dental chair and rush to the room, I could greedily hear them all whispering my name. It was my very own game of chance - Deal or No Deal minus the scantily-clad models and monetary reward, if you will. 

But aside from the toys, what I DO remember is how I FELT in the dental chair. Nevermind that I'm utterly squeamish when it comes to blood and needles and general medical "tools", I somehow felt comfortable in the same seat where grown adults would sit trembling. I didn't know meditation at the time, I could comprehend enough of procedures to be done in my mouth to actually be scared, and yet, I still wasn't. The dentist would tell me to raise my hand or open my eyes real wide if I ever felt pain. I remember how comforting he was and how attentive he was to my needs as a child. Though I don't remember his name, I am extremely grateful that he afforded me the positive and pain-free experiences in the dental chair that has helped shape me both as a patient and as a business manager for Smiles Northridge. When I see teenagers or adults walk into our office for the first time with a look of fear on their face because of a past terrible experience with the dentist, I cringe. I listen to stories upon stories of children being strapped down, patients being worked on without the mouth fully numb, office managers who bait & switched patients, treatments being forced, and a plethora of other experiences that are worthy of being called "bad first impressions."  It boggles my mind! Dentists and other medical professionals have a commitment to their patients to provide the best possible care; but, in addition to that, it is important to LISTEN to your patients. Listen to their needs, listen to their feedback, listen to their concerns and then ADDRESS them in a timely and genuine manner. Because after all if first impressions are inevitable and if first impressions are king, wouldn't you want to make sure your patients leave with a smile, wanting to come back for their next visit?  It's a commitment not only to your office's success, but also to the future of how patients will perceive dentists. Dentists shouldn't be considered money-grubbing, power-hungry sadists (pain - get it?!) only concerned about short term quotas...  they should be considered those friendly folks who sit you down to say "Aaaaah", get you OUT of pain, and put a smile on your face.


:)

-LH

www.smilesnorthridge.com
gentle, affordable, cosmetic dentistry by Dr. Tsolair Hovsepia
n

No comments:

Post a Comment